6 things I want to tell you about diabetes

10 Nov

A day late and a dollar short. Yesterday was annual D-blogging day and the topic was ‘6-things I want to tell you about Diabetes’. Well, this may be a late submission but I certainly still have at least 6 things to say:

1. When you are a parent of a diabetic child it’s natural to get defensive about people confusing type 1 with type 2, it can be frustrating but I try to embrace it as part of my job to educate people about the differences. Only 5% of Diabetics in the United States have Type 1, the other 95% have type 2 which means that everybody knows at least a few people with type 2 and a lot of people don’t know anyone with type 1.

2. As many as 1 in 10 type 1 diabetics have celiac disease

3. Sometimes I joke that Diabetes is a gift to the obsessive compulsive mother. It takes the pressure off of all the other stuff I used to fret about because I have something really important to focus on. If my brain is filled with carb counts, basal rates, insulin to carb ratios, etc, then I don’t have much time to be frivolously obsessed with the roots of my hair or the size of my thighs.

4. I lost a couple of quarter-sized patches of hair the year after Hondo’s diagnosis. Alopecia is also an auto-immune disease. Imagine that.

5. I’m afraid of my child growing into a teenager and rebelling against all the good habits I am teaching him, I’m afraid of him drinking alcohol for the first time, I’m afraid of moving him out of the family bed into a big-boy bed, I’m afraid to send him to a new classroom every September. But I’ll try to keep this a secret from him.

6. An excerpt of the history of insulin on wikipedia:

(1922) Children dying from diabetic keto-acidosis were kept in large wards,  often with 50 or more patients in a ward, mostly comatose. Grieving  family members were often in attendance, awaiting the (until then,  inevitable) death.

In one of medicine’s more dramatic moments Banting, Best, and Collip  went from bed to bed, injecting an entire ward with the new purified  extract. Before they had reached the last dying child, the first few  were awakening from their coma, to the joyous exclamations of their  families.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: